Photo sharing specific to animals and earth as easy as sharing a YouTube.
Any photo uploaded to our platform enables sharing using our photo viewer. Your photos and copyright will be protected by our viewer and users will be able to use them in non-commercial blogs, social networks and websites. If folks want to license your photos they always get you or your respresentative.
- What is AnimalsandEarth?
a social place for photos of animals and earth
- Why was AnimalsandEarth created?
To build a social community around species and places, to enable a photo community that allows personal use of our photo viewer in websites, blogs and social networks (like a YouTube). To create a artist direct community for scientists, animal workers, educators, students, photographers, researchers, to create a new revenue stream for conservation photographers based on the popularity of their photos. To allow anyone to have access to a resource of photos of animals and earth to promote awareness and conservation.
Using the site
- What kind of photos can I add to AnimalsandEarth?
Photos of animals and earth are preferred, any photo can be uploaded, just select “NOT Animals or Earth” next to each photo not related to animals and earth to keep our collection free of off subject photos.
- How can I promote my collection of photos on AnimalsandEarth?
Create gallerys and slide shows, use them in your blog or websites.
- KML files on Google Earth? Photographer KML and Search KML
- Photographer KML - A single KML file hosting all of your photos on Google Earth. Any photos uploaded to animalsandearth with a location it will be automatically added to your kml file as a photographer.
- Alternatively if you want to see all of the polar bears in Google Earth. Search “Polar Bears” and open the kml file associated with your search results, you will see thumbs on earth as a layer, click a thumb and see your photo in a widget.
- How to post photos on Facebook?
- “Use the link” or url of the photo you are looking at
Post a photo to a friends wall, copy/paste the link to there wall and enter a comment if desired, the photo will open like a youtube and allows comments.
- How do I find the photos I've uploaded when I come back to the site?
- click “MyPage” then “photos”
- search for tags or Latin name associated with your photos
- What are Groups?
A simple page which explains what the groups are and how can they be used. The social aspects should be described here. It will be interesting for persons who want to meet like-minded persons. Members are encouraged to talk about whales by hours and will share interesting facts in comments.
Using groups users can bring the light to problems on our planet (remember dead rhinos in Fb?) this will be the perfect place to put people who want to change this in one place and coordinate them for the changes.
We should describe emailing features. It's really important to explain that each member of the group will get the latest updates via email or RSS
- Why join a group?
Groups are for people with similar interest, they can be a group about Rhino poaching, a species of animal or plant.
Group moderators will have access to the html on the group homepage and can customize it. You are in charge, public or private, and who is able to join and participate.
Do you have a birding group, well this is a great place to post your photos, especially if you love to collect photos of species.
Are you a professional conservation photographer who wants to enable sharing and participation in animals and earth, groups are a great way to socialize your photos of your trips and photos, :)
Groups are what you want them to be. We hope that you use them to gather folks with things in common. We want to connect scientists, hobbyist, specialists or what ever evolves from connecting folks around the subject of animals and natural places.
- I've found species in photos that is inaccurately identified, what should I do?
Add the correct Latin name to the photo, it will be then reviewed by a moderator.
- I’ve found inappropriate content, what should I do?
Flag it - click from drop down menu and select “inappropriate content”
- I’ve found content that infringes my copyright, what should I do?
Flag it - note your infringement
- How are you moderating what goes on the site?
Citizen science, hobbyists, scientists, educators, students, and you
- Who can become a Moderator?
Anyone can, but we will rely on the most experienced and or most active moderators.
If you moderate something you will get credit, moderators are needed to help improve our data.
- Photo moderator
- Comment moderator
- Latin name moderator - Are you an expert in a specific species?
- Which browser does AnimalsandEarth work best in?
- How can I get more involved personally?
Share photos - Post a link and a comment to your friends Facebook wall
Blog photos - create a blog about polar bears and share it
Moderate - help us improve our data, catalog photos without tags or captions
- How can I use AnimalsandEarth in my local area?
- Photograph your local flora and fauna, upload and share them everywhere.
- Start a dialog with your friends and family around your photos
- How can library, archive or museums get involved?
Our primary focus is conservation photography, if you would like to use our platform for different content, please
- I’d like to talk about partnering with AnimalsandEarth, who can I contact?
Where is the content stored?
Servers in the USA and Ukraine.
Is there any limit to the amount of content that can go on the site?
We are not a hosting company so show us the best of your animals and earth.
How can I help improve data on AnimalsandEarth?
Share your knowledge, help moderate miss-identified species, tags and caption information.
Can I get statistics on my content?
Yes, once your photos have been in out platform a few days.
Go to “My Page”, select “Statistics” from your menu.
See photo views, links to uses, and shares on Social Networks.
Copyright and use of photos, how will the content be protected?
We protect your jpegs on our website and other sites by using a custom viewer.
High resolution files for Animal Desktop are saved in a proprietary file format.
How will my content be credited on the site?
You are in charge of your credit line. When a viewer clicks your copyright information on our viewer, it will take them to your custom url yourname.animalsandearth.com Where your contact information, biography, websites and blogs can be linked.
I'm a journalist and want to write a fabulously complimentary article about you.
contact us, :) and yes we have photos to use in your articles, :)
- promote awareness and conservation by enablling personal non-commercial use in blogs, websites and social networks
- use our platform to create slideshows, galleries and groups around your photos and projects
- think of our widgets as a YouTube for photos
Protect your photos
- max size of use is 450 x 450 in our photo widget
- Original photos are saved into a proprietary file format for use in Animal Desktop
- your copyright information stays with your photos, 1 click to gets you or your representitive
Flickr and Picasso users
- we work seemlessly with both services
- just login and choose Flickr or Picasso and select your animals and earth photos
- your existing caption and tag information should follow your photos
- please add the Scientific name to your photos when possible or select "identify me"